Network Proxy Kills Gnome 2.8.3

Hi! I use Gnome 2.8.3 from mandrake 2005 LE. I have a proxy that I use for http web browsers that filters out the bad crap on the internet. I also use epiphany 1.4.8 as my browser. To set up the proxy, I had to go to the gnome control center and then network proxy. I use proxy2.truevine.net port 8002. It works, until I try to login again. The splash says it is setting up the session manager proxy, and locks up. I can set it in kde for konqueror and in firefox, and it is fine. I know that gnome is now to 2.10.1, and I want to know if this is fixed there, because upgrading gnome is a pain. Thanks!
-Steven