running xscreensaver

I'm having trouble with xscreensaver, or rather the gnome implementation
of it.

I've narrowed the running of it down to gnome-settings-daemon, which
apparently runs it without the option to turn it off.  This wouldn't be
a problem if I was just running one instance.  I am running a minimum of
three instances; one on screen :0.0 and two vnc sessions through thick
clients.  Each client has its own xscreensaver, so adding one to each
vnc session is redundant.  In fact, when I have all three instances
running, and a couple of them have 3-D graphics hacks going, the main
computer grinds practically to a halt.

Is there a way to have gnome-settings _not_ run it on remote sessions?
My current workaround was to rename xscreensaver to something else.  Not
clean.