Re: gnome crashing on startup

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 03:36:49PM -0500, fmapconsulting aol com wrote:
> When type startx, gnome seem to be starting up (I see no complete graphical interface and I can move the mouse cursor only) but it stops without a any reason....

That doesn't sound like GNOME is starting. It sounds like X is
starting, and then has nothing to do.

Does a GNOME splash screen come up? No? Try ctrl-alt-F1, or
ctrl-alt-backspace

Try:

# apt-get install gdm
# /etc/init.d/gdm start

That should bring up a GNOME login screen. If it doesn't, it
ought to give you useful errors. Check /var/log/XFree86.0.log
for X related errors.

-dsr-

--
Nothing to sig here, move along.