Re: GNOME 2.8 and /usr/share/application-registry?

On Fri, 2005-18-03 at 17:24 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
> Sven Herzberg wrote:

> I still think it is too bad that I *have to* do this, though. I think it
> ought to be possible to upgrade GNOME and have the existing applications
> work correctly. Yeah, I know that users of other GUIs/OSes pretty much
> expect that they have to get new versions of everything when they
> upgrade the desktop, but that's my point, really. This is one area where
> it's relatively easy for GNOME to be better than some of the competitors!
>
> - Toralf

But you also have to consider the price MS has paid for that never-
ending compatibility. I think most FOSS makers have attempted to make
things as stable as possible without hobbling future progress, and IMO
thats the right way to go.

They're writing software for the future, and when things like menu specs
finally settle down, it will really be stable, there will be no need for
GNOME Second-thought Edition 2006.

Cheers,
Ryan