Re: GNOME 2.8 and /usr/share/application-registry?

Sven Herzberg wrote:

Am Freitag, den 18.03.2005, 16:38 +0100 schrieb Toralf Lund:
We have an application originally developed for GNOME 2.0, that registers itself as handler for certain MIME types via /usr/share/application-registry/<app-name>.

After upgrading to GNOME 2.8, this does not seem to be listed among the handlers for the types in question. Or at least, I can't find references to it on the Nautilus right-click menu.

Should I expect my application to be registered as expected? If I shouldn't, why not? (Yes I realise that the MIME system is being changed, but there is something called "backwards compatibility")

 GNOME switched to the FreeDesktop.org MIME standard with GNOME 2.8, so
this is the reason for the failure.

I sort of suspected that.

You should just need to add the mime
type declarations into your .desktop file and - if necessary - create a
mime type specification for the mime type you're working on. The FDo
standard should provide you with enough information.
Yes. Thanks.

I still think it is too bad that I *have to* do this, though. I think it ought to be possible to upgrade GNOME and have the existing applications work correctly. Yeah, I know that users of other GUIs/OSes pretty much expect that they have to get new versions of everything when they upgrade the desktop, but that's my point, really. This is one area where it's relatively easy for GNOME to be better than some of the competitors!

- Toralf