GNOME 2.8 and /usr/share/application-registry?

We have an application originally developed for GNOME 2.0, that registers itself as handler for certain MIME types via /usr/share/application-registry/<app-name>.

After upgrading to GNOME 2.8, this does not seem to be listed among the handlers for the types in question. Or at least, I can't find references to it on the Nautilus right-click menu.

Should I expect my application to be registered as expected? If I shouldn't, why not? (Yes I realise that the MIME system is being changed, but there is something called "backwards compatibility")

- T