GARNOME (was: Re: GNOME 2.10 is released, what now?)

In  gnome-list Digest, Vol 11, Issue 7
Ryan McDougal wrote:

>>> Or you could build from source using garnome following the instructions
>>> here http://cipherfunk.org/garnome/documentation.html . If you have the
>>> stomach for it. ;)
.
.
.
>My advice to you: take a weekend and give Garnome a shot, you'll
>probably learn a lot doing it.

I tried this in the past and didn't get very far. After reading this post,
I thought I'd give it another shot. I downloaded garnome-2.10.0 and took
a look at the README and gar.conf.mk, but some things weren't clear.

Went to http://mail.gnome.org/archives/garnome-list/
but was dismayed by all the problems people were having.
So I am wondering,
"Has anyone successfully built garnome without pain and suffering?"

If so, how about on suse 9.x?

Mike