Disable logout effect ("gray-out" of windows)?

I'll try this one again (no response last time):

When pressing the Log Out button in GNOME, the entire display is redrawn with a special effect (while the logout confirmation dialog is active) to indicate an "insensitive" desktop (as we all know.) This is rather nice for a local display, but if you log in to GNOME via a remote X server, the update takes forever. Is there any way to disable this effect?

- Toralf