Desktop background "forgotten" between sessions

I'm running gnome 2.10.r1 on a Gentoo system. Since upgrading, I've noticed that whenever I log in to Gnome, my desktop background is black. The Desktop Background Preferences applet does a fine job of restoring the background, but as soon as I log out and log back in, the background is gone again.

Is this a known bug, a new bug (surely not), or some kind of configuration mistake on my part? What would you need to know about my installed packages to get a clearer picture?

--
Don Doumakes