Re: Gnome background

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 22:38 +0100, info marecek com wrote:
> Hallo,
>

> I like to use programs like xplanet to handle my background and I like to
> use too applications like Nautilus to be able to have and use some
icons on
> the desktop. Unfortunately the configuration options of the Gnome and
> Nautilus doesn't allow to use as background anything else then or
picture or
> colour. I tried follow advices found in the archives, but with a partial
> success only. I was able to use xplanet as background handling program
only
> when I disabled Nautilus at all. When Nautilus has been disabled, there
> wasn't no icon on the desktop. So I activated Nautilus back again.
>

> At the moment I use xplanet program so it's started with initial
scripts of
> the system and so it puts the output to the image
(/tmp/background.png) each
> 5 minutes. This picture I selected as the background for the desktop. Now
> remain the question how ask the Gnome and Nautilus to refresh the
background
> in some reasonable period, each 5 minutes for example.
>

> May be you can suggest me anything better?
>
> Thanks.

You should use a bash script to update the background (or use cron). The
problem is nautilus don't change the background if you set up a new bg
with same file name. This script set up a background ever 5 minutes, and
change the name of /tmp/background.jpg after set up it. It is a a little
gross solution ...

#!/bin/sh

while sleep 5m ; do
        BG_PATH="/tmp/bgch$(date +%s).jpg"
        ln -s /tmp/background.jpg $BG_PATH
        gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename -t
string $BG_PATH
        sleep 1
        rm $BG_PATH
done