Install a custom keyboard layout?

Lately, I have been experimenting with making myself a custom keyboard layout. Based on the existing layouts, I have managed to create a file in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/, and I can then change to this layout with setxkbmap. So far so good.

The problem is that I do not want to use this layout as my primary layout -- rather, I want to be able to switch between it and my regular layout, and preferably in a much more convenient way than with setxkbmap. With gnome-keyboard-properties, I can set up my system to use more than two layouts, and there is also the option to change between the installed layouts with the press on a key.

Thus, I would like to install my layout this way, so that I can take advantage of these benefits. However, my problem is that my layout does not appear in the list of layouts in gnome-keyboard-properties. How do I install it so that it is recognised by gnome, i.e., so that it is available in this list?

-- Johan Winge