esd and gdmflexiserver

When I am running Gnome, the only way I am able to run multiple programs that talk to the sound card concurrently, I must run the esound daemon (/usr/bin/esd). However, if another user then logs in via a separate gdm session or via gdmflexiserver, she is unable to access the sound card.

Is there a workaround, or does anyone on this list have good ideas for a workaround, that would allow multiple users to simultaneously access the sound device? This might be better asked in some sort of esound-devoted forum, but according to the README file in the source, "Development on Esound stopped several years ago."

Anyone have any ideas?

Regards,
Brandon