Re: metacity background image question

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 05:20, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> I'm still using sun's gnome 2.0 distribution on sparc solaris 8.
> The machine has 2 display monitors.
>
> >From what I can tell, users are restricted to using one image on
> not only all workspaces, but all workspaces on both monitors.
> Has that situation changed in later GNOME releases?
>
> Also, is there a way that a user can dynamically change the background
> image?

I can answer the second question..

It's fairly simple to change the background using gconf..

$ gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename \
 --type=string /home/daniel/quake3.png

There are a lot of other options that you can set as well as
picture_filename, to list the options run:

$ gconftool-2 -a /desktop/gnome/background

Not sure if the gconf keys are the same in gnome 2.0 but once you list
the keys it should be obvious what you need to set etc...

Hope that helps..

Daniel