RE: Has performance been forgotten?

Thanks, Nice answer!

I trust you and suppose that performance won't be
sacrificed easily when a new feature is added or
faster CPUs become available.

At the end, can you explain more about these please:

1- You didn't notice that even "file-roller" was not
as fast as expected (e.g. compared to WinRAR); Isn't
it due to its dynamic resize of extraction menu
"file-roller" doesn't show a progress bar instead of a
swapping bar? A swapping bar may be attractive, but a
progress bar may be necessary, especially for long
archives.

2- You repeatedly criticized about my style of
posting. I always use my best effort to make emails
clearer and more effective. For this purpose, I join
the broken lines again and avoid the repetition of my
own posts in the middle of your replies. This work
takes often a long time and I do spend this time in
order to prepare a clear, error-free writing. I never
claimed that this was the best way, but, I wonder you
hate anything other than your usual way! Can you
please describe in details that what annoying problem
was with my posts? I always try to have no slangs, no
grammatical, spelling or punctuation faults, and
minimum interjections. Are cumulative lines like below
(see between the #### lines) good for you? Even now,
before your response, I apologize for some of my
writings if was not likable for you.

Thank you for your notice,
Bahram Alinezhad,
Tehran, Iran.

wrote:

> > That was my main motive.
> >
> > > 3.  What is not appropriate content for the
list?
> > > A3.  Commercial postings of any kind, job
postings,
non-computer/Linux
> > >      related material.  Because of the large
size of the list
(1500
> > >      subscribers and ~200 messages per day),
flame wars and
off-topic
> > >      posting can sometimes result in you being
unsubscribed and,
in
> > >      extreme cases, banned from the list.  Also,
please
unsubscribe
> > >      now if you planning on posting
advocacy-type things.  We
have a
> > >      list specifically devoted to these sorts of
discussion,
suse-ot.

> > ?? Huh?
>
> Look at the welcome message you received when you
joined the list.
> You did keep it didn't you?

Yes, I keep a copy of all lists I join. But I don't
"Advertise". I have
no
clue what you're talking about there.

> --
> Ken Schneider
> UNIX since 1989
> SuSE since 1998
> * Only reply to the list please*

"Telsa Gwynne" (hobbit aloss ukuu org uk)
wrote:

You have already sent several similar emails.
gnome-list is possibly not the right place for them.
The subject of profiling and speeding Gnome up has
come up on desktop-devel-list recently: have a look in
the archives for the subject line "Goals for 2.10 -
desktop-wide profiling". Incidentally, Gnome and KDE
are not the whole of the OS.

I don't know a lot about this. I do know that there
are good ways and bad ways to demonstrate speed
problems, but that's about it. Which is why I haven't
replied.

But since I too tend to want much more performance
without upgrading my hardware, the subject does
interest me. Of course, I also want translations,
Pango, and lots of other stuff, too :)

> KDE: 600 times slower in bzip2!

You know that you are posting this to gnome-list, yes?
We can't do a lot about konsole and konqueror unless
it turns out that they share a problem with
fileroller...

I am not sure where the discussion about what results
to profile and how to interpret them ended up. But no,
the subject hasn't been forgotten. Trust me, some of
us have been making posts about low-end machines for a
long time, and have every interest in trying to help.

But posting multiple "see also my other posts coming
to this list" emails may not be the best way to
proceed. It is possible that no-one who read them had
any way to interpret them, time to look at the code,
or any useful suggestions.

Searching the gnome-list and desktop-devel-list (and
other) archives for "profiling" "speed ups" "slowdown"
and similar strings may help.
Similarly, bugzilla is certain to have open bugs which
are relevant.
I know it does, because I filed some of them :)

Telsa