The first click in a non-focus window...

I'm working on a neat project involving a bunch of touchscreens
running off of one Linux box (the screens are kiosks for a music
store).  The one problem I am having is a mouse focus issue. How can I
make it so the first click on a button on a window that isn't in focus
still clicks the button (rather than the first click only bringing the
window to focus without registering a button click)?

What happens is this... if someone tries to click a button on a
touchscreen, but the application on that screen isn't the active focus
window, the first touch [like a mouse click] first makes the window
the focus window and that first click event isn't received as a button
click... but a second touch will click the button. Then if someone
touches a button on a different touchscreen, that first touch is
ignored again because it just makes the window active, and only the
second touch actually clicks the button... So the two users are
effectively having to click buttons twice for anything to happen if
they are both clicking buttons at the same time.

Help!  I'm currently running Fedora Linux with Gnome / Metacity and
the application that is being clicked on is Opera... but I'm willing
to change window managers or applications if needed to make this work.

--
Best regards,
 oregon