gconftool-2 usage question

Warning - the docs for gconftool-2 are very confusing to me.
Perhaps I'm just too old to be able to comprehend it - or perhaps there's
some basic concept that just isn't working for me.

However, I keep rereading the gnome admin docs , hoping that some day
it will make sense.

Anyways, today's question is one that I need answered before I start
screwing up... I mean experimenting with... my environment.

The gconftool-2 docs indicate, several times the caution:

Before you change mandatory or default preference values for users, you
must ensure that all users are logged out.

What does that mean?  How would I change these values if I am logged out?
Seems obscure to me.

--
Tcl - The glue of a new generation.  <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ >
Larry W. Virden <mailto:lvirden cas org> <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>