Re: gconftool-2 usage question

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 09:44 -0500, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> Warning - the docs for gconftool-2 are very confusing to me.
> Perhaps I'm just too old to be able to comprehend it - or perhaps there's
> some basic concept that just isn't working for me.
>
> However, I keep rereading the gnome admin docs , hoping that some day
> it will make sense.

In the mean time you can file bugs in the gnome-user-docs product in
bugzilla <http://bugzilla.gnome.org/>, in the sysadmin-guide.

> Anyways, today's question is one that I need answered before I start
> screwing up... I mean experimenting with... my environment.
>
> The gconftool-2 docs indicate, several times the caution:
>
> Before you change mandatory or default preference values for users, you
> must ensure that all users are logged out.
>
> What does that mean?  How would I change these values if I am logged out?
> Seems obscure to me.

I would imagine that means that you need to do that kind of changes from
outside of GNOME, or in a state such that you know no gconf daemons are
running.

This may very well be a wrong interpretation. In any case, gconf-editor
now allows you to edit mandatory and default preferences, and when it is
run chances are gconfd -is- running.

-- m

--
Mariano Suárez-Alvarez <msuarezalvarez arnet com ar>
http://www.gnome.org/~mariano