Re: Gnomes-games deprecation

2529386 bud cc swin edu au wrote:
> I'm not sure how GNOME define what is good for GNOME standard games. But
standing on my point of view, I think we should deprecate some games
that don't gain good credit.
> Games suggested to be deprecated:
> + Robot - this game is somehow not really GUI oriented to GTK2 and its
boring gameplay doesn't give much impression on users

Actually, with GNOME 2.8, this can be played with a mouse. This will also
likely become a scalable game soon. Understand that this is not an action
game, but a classic strategy game based on a much older BSD game.

> + Tali - this game is somehow considered as most boring game in
> gnome-games b/c of its hard and not very friendly GUI

I think there are games much more boring, such as Iagno. Or downright
despicable, like Four-In-A-Row. Everyone's opinion differs here. :)

> + GStone - this game is ok, but I don't play it again after first try.
Its artwork  is terribly ugly, and wondering a pro GNOME desktop does
really need this game?

The basic concept is a classic, and this is really the only action game in
gnome-games (unless you count gnometris). It's understood that a lot of
work needs to be done, graphically and otherwise. Personally, I'm
committed to making sure this gets some form of a graphical upgrade prior
to GNOME 2.10, though probably short of full blown scalability...

Also, a pro desktop doesn't need games. :)

> I don't want to make games' authors sad but somehow I think we need to
leave something behind to move on.

That said, games discussion should be in games-list gnome org

-Richard Hoelscher
http://rahga.com/svg/