Gnome problems: cannot log out/restart/shutdown

Hi there,

I use Gnome and like it very much, but recently I've come across a nasty problem: The Actions->Log Out-> Log Out/ Restart / Shutdown buttons do not work anymore. Whatever I choose, nothing happens except that only keyboard shortcuts work, I cannot use the mouse to perform an action. I run gnome-session and don't have any special settings to my knowledge (Fedora Core 3 w/ gnome 2.8). The other problem is that I cannot save my current setup anymore, and I'm stuck with the setup of the last time log out worked.

Any help appreciated!

Carles