Re: Editing gnome-terminal Profiles

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 13:09 -0500, Kent Eschenberg wrote:
> Hi Yall,
>
> Using Gnome 2.4 on Redhat Fedora Core 1, I'd like to create several
> gnome-terminal profiles directly. I've updated the master list of profiles
> in
>
>    ~/.gconf/apps/gnome-terminal/global/%gconf.xml
>
> and then created a new directory for each new profile under
>
>    ~/.gconf/apps/gnome-terminal/profiles
>
> I copied the %gconf.xml file from the Default profile to each new profile
> and then made changes in the new.
>
> The changes didn't seem to take effect so I logged out and then back in.
> Now, Terminal->Profiles shows a longer list but all the new ones are named
> <not named>. Edit->Profiles is the same.
>
> 1) When does Gnome and gnome-terminal look at the profile files?

All interaction with those files happens through GConf and its daemon.
In normal circumstances, which includes yours, you should not touch them

> 2) In most new profiles, the file %gconf.xml is empty while the new profile
> was moved to %gconf.xml.bak. Why?
>
> 3) I've editing the profiles to break long lines into ones that end after a
> tag. In some cases, I'll add spaces in front of a line to give it some
> visible structure. Is the part of Gnome or gnome-terminal that reads these
> xml files workiing right? They should ignore whitespace and newlines. If
> not, this could be part of the problem.

Those xmlish files are being parsed by a GMarkup parser, which parses a
strict subset of XML. The subset is (completely?) defined in the GLIB
API documentation.

> This sort of information is probably in a manual. However, www.gnome.org
> doesn't seem to have any documentation. The "Users" button on their home
> page doesn't work. Is there a manual somewhere that goes into this sort of
> detail?

Since the xmlish files are an implementation detail (they are in
principle one of the various options for storage of the GConf database)
this is not documented at the user level. There is great documentation
for GConf and its API at http://developer.gnome.org

In any case, you should be editing “by hand” your gconf files using the
command line tool called gconftool-2, which allows you do
create/set/read gconf keys among other things.

It is quite probable that messing with the xmlish files while the gconf
daemon is running (and has the the stuff you modify in its caches, I
guess) you'll get in trouble some way or another.

HTH,

-- m

--
Mariano Suárez-Alvarez <msuarezalvarez arnet com ar>
http://www.gnome.org/~mariano