Re: Configuring window characteristics

>>> You'll need a different WM or WM-helper (like devil's pie).  Most of those
>>> functions aren't something the WM should be doing, they're stuff the app
>>> should be doing.  The WM is in a very poor position to do those things
>>> properly and accurately; identifying windows is _not_ an easy task,
>>> especially given how many broken applications there are.
>> Perhaps, but I thought WindowMaker was pretty good at it and you could do
>> awesome things with it, whether or not it was done ugly behind the scenes.

> I agree, and instead of pushing the functions to the apps, the apps
> could be fixed (better identifing methods), and all this unified into
> the WMs, so interface would be easier for all users, the same way it
> is being proposed that a folder is a window is a folder, it could be
> that user can control all windows in one way, no window is different.

Exactly... if you leave it up to the apps, you just know that you'll have a
bunch of apps that you want this to do, but they don't support it-- or not
properly. Like, for some reason I can't keep GKrellM off the Window List when
GNOME starts; instead it disappears after I click on the button. Same for
gaim connection window; it stays after it's connected. I want it minimized,
off the Window List, etc. This would rock, but do you see gaim implementing
this feature anytime soon? A standardized way to do this properly would be
most welcome.

Ivo