config files on a connected laptop

I'm setting up a small home network consisting of a server | desktop,
firewall, and a couple of laptops I'm adding now.  The desktop and
laptop I am adding are both running SuSE 9.0.

The laptop is a Compaq unit with a 15" screen that the reviewers have
called a "desktop replacement."  When it is at home it is connected to a
19" LCD monitor, a standard keyboard and mouse, external speakers, and a
network connection with nfs, which makes it virtually indistinguishable
from a desktop.  I intend to use it as such while it is part of the
network, in a different room from the real desktop.

I want identical desktop behavior while it is connected.  I am importing
/home, /opt, and /etc/opt, and for the most part things are going well.
While connected I mount the local (to the laptop) home directory at
~/presario-local.  I use several GNOME apps over FVWM2, configuring them
with gconf-editor and gnome-control-center.

I am having trouble with the GNOME apps.  Starting them elicits pages of
config error messages, making them mostly unusable.  Should I be
importing another directory?  Some of the messages said something about
a configuration server.

--
It's really quite a simple choice: Life, Death, or Los Angeles.