Re: config files on a connected laptop

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 23:39:02 -0800
Tim Hanson <tjhanson comcast net> wrote:

> I'm setting up a small home network consisting of a server | desktop,
> firewall, and a couple of laptops I'm adding now.  The desktop and
> laptop I am adding are both running SuSE 9.0.
>
> The laptop is a Compaq unit with a 15" screen that the reviewers have
> called a "desktop replacement."  When it is at home it is connected to
> a 19" LCD monitor, a standard keyboard and mouse, external speakers,
> and a network connection with nfs, which makes it virtually
> indistinguishable from a desktop.  I intend to use it as such while it
> is part of the network, in a different room from the real desktop.
>
> I want identical desktop behavior while it is connected.  I am
> importing/home, /opt, and /etc/opt, and for the most part things are
> going well. While connected I mount the local (to the laptop) home
> directory at~/presario-local.  I use several GNOME apps over FVWM2,
> configuring them with gconf-editor and gnome-control-center.
>
> I am having trouble with the GNOME apps.  Starting them elicits pages
> of config error messages, making them mostly unusable.  Should I be
> importing another directory?  Some of the messages said something
> about a configuration server.

I don't know if this is related or not. On my laptop I use fvwm2 instead
of the gnome panel/metacity but still like to use gnome apps. I found
that I needed to add

gnome-settings-daemon --oaf-private&

to my startup script in order to get the apps to see the configuration
(particularly the fonts).

You could also try running gnome-control-center, and while it is open
try starting the apps by hand.

If none of this helps, you could always try posting sample error
messages here.

Regards,

Chris