gconftool and GConf GUI

I'm trying to manipulate the configuration database using gconftool but it seems as if it is talking to another database different from the one the GUI configuration editor is talking to. If I change a value like this:

gconftool --set /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename /home/darkwing/wallpapers/somepic.jpg -t string

Sometimes this works and the wallpaper changes. I can always change it via the GUI configuration editor though.