Deficiency in nautilus or metacity

I've been rather bothered by what I perceive to be a deficiency in
GNOME's handling of "launchers".  Not sure if this is attributable to
metacity or nautilus or both (I'd be interested to know which).

When creating a new launcher, a rich set of options are available.  But
bringing up the properties for an existing launcher, the user is
presented with a much more restricted functionality, preventing the
easy modification of certain properties.

I'm wondering what the rationale is for this, whether it's intentional
or not, and whether or not we may see some enhancement of the launcher
properties dialog in the future.

Thanks.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads cox net> -- "In Unix veritas"