Re: .ICE-unix locked

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Telsa Gwynne <hobbit aloss ukuu org uk>
To: gnome-list gnome org
Sent: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:24:07 +0000
Subject: Re: .ICE-unix locked

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 08:34:16AM -0500 or thereabouts, Luyin Sun wrote:
> > Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks a lot.
>
> Not properly, which is why I didn't respond the first time. But
> I'll give it a go.
>
> > > I have XFree864.3.99.902 installed. I try to working on Gatos, a
> > > device driver for ATI video card. After I installed the new device
> > > driver I cannot log on again. First there is error message: Cannot
> > > start listener for inet6. I add -nolisten inet6 in gdm.conf. Then I
> > > got another eror:Default (locked at HOST:/tmp/.ICE-unix/2624,
> > > inet/HOST). Even if I change back to the presaved working version of
> > > /etc/X11 and /usr/X11R6 the problem is still there. I tried to
> > > delete that directory and restart. The problem is still there. Any
> > > idea about this? I couldnot find any infromation about .ICE-unix
> > > online. Thanks Redhat 9 Kernel 2.4 XFree86 4.3.99.902
>
> .ICE-unix is a directory in /tmp. It contains a bunch of files
> which are, um.. sockets, I think. I think they get cleaned up
> when you stop running X and new ones created when you start
> running it.
>
> I have absolutely no idea whether this is a good idea or a bad
> idea, but you could always delete all the contents (if this is
> just you on the box: if there are 20 other users I suppose this
> could be a mistake) and see whether that makes any difference.
> Is this what you meant when you talked about trying to delete
> the directory? I didn't quite follow.
>
> I don't know what "Cannot start listener" means, unfortunately,
> and that looks like the important error; so I don't know whether
> this gdm.conf alteration is the right thing to do.
>
> Telsa
Thanks for your reply. The listerner problem is related to XFree86. I got the
resolution from the install help file. Even if I removed it from the conf
file the ICE-unix problem is still there. I deleted the directory and reboot
the system. It's still there. There is one option in the popup window, called
break the lock chain. But it's grayed. Thanks.