Re: .ICE-unix locked

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 08:34:16AM -0500 or thereabouts, Luyin Sun wrote:
> Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks a lot.

Not properly, which is why I didn't respond the first time. But
I'll give it a go.

> > I have XFree864.3.99.902 installed. I try to working on Gatos, a
> > device driver for ATI video card. After I installed the new device
> > driver I cannot log on again. First there is error message: Cannot
> > start listener for inet6. I add -nolisten inet6 in gdm.conf. Then I
> > got another eror:Default (locked at HOST:/tmp/.ICE-unix/2624,
> > inet/HOST). Even if I change back to the presaved working version of
> > /etc/X11 and /usr/X11R6 the problem is still there. I tried to
> > delete that directory and restart. The problem is still there. Any
> > idea about this? I couldnot find any infromation about .ICE-unix
> > online. Thanks Redhat 9 Kernel 2.4 XFree86 4.3.99.902

.ICE-unix is a directory in /tmp. It contains a bunch of files
which are, um.. sockets, I think. I think they get cleaned up
when you stop running X and new ones created when you start
running it.

I have absolutely no idea whether this is a good idea or a bad
idea, but you could always delete all the contents (if this is
just you on the box: if there are 20 other users I suppose this
could be a mistake) and see whether that makes any difference.
Is this what you meant when you talked about trying to delete
the directory? I didn't quite follow.

I don't know what "Cannot start listener" means, unfortunately,
and that looks like the important error; so I don't know whether
this gdm.conf alteration is the right thing to do.

Telsa