gnome-desktop problems

Hi list,
    I am running debian unstable and have been using gnome.  it has been working great.  I haven't done any gnome updating (except gdesklets).  when I rebooted yesterday, I noticed that the splash screen shows gnome-proxy or something like that (the first 1) takes about 15 seconds to get through. then the desktop comes up - missing wallpaper and root menu (the panels and menu bar are fine).  Nautilus is running.  I tried launching nautilus from command line and nothing happens - it just stays there.  no errors nothing.  2nd and bigger problem is that when I try to log out, I can't.  I get the "save settings" dialog, I click ok and the desktop does not exit.  the only way I can get back to gdm is if I use ctrl+shift+backspace (restarts x I think).   has anyone else had this problem?
Please CC me on the reply as I am not subscribed to this list.
TIA
ajay