Re: Gnome startup questions...

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 02:09:50PM +0800, Stephen Liu told me:
> Hi Greg,

Helo!

> >The system is running cAos BETA1 and Gnome-2.4.0.
> >
> If you are running  "Debian-unstable",  please try follows;
> (It works for me)

<plug>
Linux distribution is caos. :) Similar to Debian from the community aspect
(however nowhere near as large and very young), yet based on RPM.
http://caosity.org/
</plug>

> 1) Change   /etc/apt/sources.list   all settings to 'unstable"
>
> 2) Run
> - dselect update
> - dselect select
> (I did not select any item only press 'Q' to exit)
> - dselect install
> (anwsering a few simple questions.  It took about 25 min to complete in
> my case)
>
> 3) Reboot your PC
> Then you will have GNOME 2.4 running on you PC.

Since I am the one packaging Gnome for the caos distribution (unless someone
with more Gnome experience wants to take over or help out), I am guessing that
it is a compilation problem. Maybe a certain package or devel package was not
installed when I compiled one of the base components thus it did not
autoconfigure that support. Another idea is that it is just the order of how
things were installed.

Any thoughts?

> Now I have GNOME 2.4 running smoothly but KDE 3.1 died (previously it
> was vice vesa)  It looks a little bid funny to me.  What made me
> rendering into this problem is as follows;
>
> I ran follows again.
> - dselect update
> - dselect install
> skipping 'dselect select' becuase I don't want to make new selection.
> Now I am still searching for a solution.
>
> Maybe I have to run
> - dselect update
> - dselect select
> - dselect install

Hrmm, sorry I have not used Debian in about 3.5 years now... ;)

Thanks however for the help!

Greg
--
Greg M. Kurtzer