Re: Gnome startup questions...

Hi Greg,

Greg Kurtzer wrote:

I built Gnome from source, and I have noticed 2 things not working quite
right.

First is that the xscreensaver daemon is not starting when a user logs in. If
you bring up the control center and screensaver properties, it complains that
it is not running, then starts it.

Second is that startup-notification also does not appear to be working.

Maybe the *-devel packages were not installed when I compiled somethings. Any ideas would be appreciated.

The system is running cAos BETA1 and Gnome-2.4.0.

If you are running  "Debian-unstable",  please try follows;
(It works for me)

1) Change   /etc/apt/sources.list   all settings to 'unstable"

2) Run
- dselect update
- dselect select
(I did not select any item only press 'Q' to exit)
- dselect install
(anwsering a few simple questions. It took about 25 min to complete in my case)

3) Reboot your PC
Then you will have GNOME 2.4 running on you PC.

HTH

Now I have GNOME 2.4 running smoothly but KDE 3.1 died (previously it was vice vesa) It looks a little bid funny to me. What made me rendering into this problem is as follows;

I ran follows again.
- dselect update
- dselect install
skipping 'dselect select' becuase I don't want to make new selection. Now I am still searching for a solution.

Maybe I have to run
- dselect update
- dselect select
- dselect install