Re: gdm to GNOME session aborts

Sean,

Thank you for the reply. It is good to even have some suggestions on where to look, there is a depression appearing on the desk where I keep on banging my head ;-)

any errors occuring during startup should be in $HOME/.gnome-errors or
$HOME/.xsession-errors.

There is no .gnome-errors present and .xsession-errors is empty.

also, does GNOME startup when reverting the driver?  just as a test?  if

Using the XFree86 configuration program I have tried the generic ATI drivers of various levels (that come with XFree86), as well as the performance one using the configuration program that comes with it. No difference.

so, that indicates it's not GNOME, but the driver.  is this the NVIDIA
driver?  if so, are you using the latest version?  older versions had a
bug which GNOME triggered and crashed the X server, iirc.

The graphics card is an ATI FireGL X1 256M. I downloaded the latest version of the driver from the ATI website about a month ago.

I am using the Red Hat 9.0 distribution of Linux.

have you contacted the driver vendor to see if they have reports of
similar problems from other users?

Not yet, I am just not convinced it is a driver issue. I'll do that tomorrow when I get back to work.

My feeling is there is a configuration problem with XFree86, or something isn't located where it should be ...?? So GNOME has an issue when it tries to start up. However, TWM runs OK??

Catch ya,

Dr. Dallas Warren
Research Fellow
Department of Pharmaceutical Biology and Pharmacology
Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University
381 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3010
dallas warren vcp monash edu au
+61 3 9903 9083