Re: unkillable processes

D is a "deadlocked" state that may or may not be permanent.  It means
that the process has entered an uninterruptible sleep.  If it is waiting
on a kernel resource that it will never get access to, then the process
is forever hung and any resources it holds are ne'er to return to the
system.  Usually, when you get processes in this state and they stay
there, you have a reboot in your near future to recover.  :-)

Happy New Year!

--Jason