Re: unkillable processes

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Jason A. Pfeil wrote:

> D is a "deadlocked" state that may or may not be permanent.  It means
> that the process has entered an uninterruptible sleep.  If it is waiting
> on a kernel resource that it will never get access to, then the process
> is forever hung and any resources it holds are ne'er to return to the
> system.  Usually, when you get processes in this state and they stay
> there, you have a reboot in your near future to recover.  :-)

Since this happens regularly, it's a pretty serious bug.  I have to lower
the shades and check for spy cams before rebooting, so that none of the Windows
users who've heard me bragging about Linux find out.

What can I do to help debug this?  Or should I take it over to kernel.org?
I think that unkillable processes are a kernel bug regardless of what
application bugs may trigger the problem.

--
			Stuart D. Gathman <stuart bmsi com>
	"[Microsoft] products are even less buggy than others, in terms of