Re: unkillable processes

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 05:26:07PM -0500 or thereabouts, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> I often end up with unkillable processes from gnome, where kill -9 won't
> get rid of them.  This seems to only happen on remote X terminals (e.g.
> LTSP), and only when I logout with a gnome application still running
> that I have forgotten about.

"State: D (disk sleep)" is the reason they are unkillable. I managed
to get one of the kernel daemons into this state some time ago, and
things went very messy indeed :) Disk sleep means they are waiting
for a response from the kernel, as far as I recall.

> BTW, free RedHat 7.3 support ends tonight.  What are other people
> doing for free or low cost source of support (as in updates) for home use of
> Gnome 2?  I like RPM - and building source RPMS that support my distro
> is no problem.  I have been handling security updates (for sendmail, openssh,
> openssl, etc) to RedHat 6.2 myself with no problem at work (and will probably
> continue that way for RH72 and RH73).  However, I tend to get confused
> trying to get these GUI systems compiled and integrated.  The company
> offering $5/mo security updates doesn't cover upgrading/fixing Gnome.

I am using Fedora, but I don't know how easy the 7.3->Fedora upgrade
is. There is a Fedora Legacy project out there, I believe, although
the mail archives go very quiet as of recently. Perhaps they all
decamped to another list. I dunno.

http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy