Re: Gnome very slow

%% Colin Charles <linux bytebot net> writes:

  cc> Does your /etc/hosts file resolve localhost correctly?

  cc> The first line of that file should be:

  cc> 127.0.0.1	localhost	localhost

You don't need localhost here twice.  Once is enough.

I thought someone would have mentioned this already (I'm coming late in
the thread), but on the off chance they haven't note that having
localhost in /etc/hosts is necessary, but not sufficient.  You also need
your hostname there (or anyway, it needs to be resolvable somehow).

Run "hostname", then put that into your /etc/hosts file as well; if you
have a static IP address you can use that otherwise just add it to the
127.0.0.1 line:

    127.0.0.1   localhost   <hostname>

 Paul D. Smith <psmith nortelnetworks com>   HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools