Re: Gnome very slow

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 11:17, Colin Charles wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 22:29, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
> > I still have the problem with 30 sec delays (& more) between clicking on an
> > item and getting a response.  Presently this occurs when the logout applett
> > is clicked and in nautilus where just about everything I try to check conf.
> > on results in long delays.  The terminals work fine however.  There was a
> > question about resolv.conf, which I reported consisted of two blank lines.
> > When I looked at it with kong. there were two entries.  Numbers representing
> > address seperated by 1 digit xxx xxx xxx 2 & 3,  likely my ISP.  Running
> > mandrake 9.2 (upgraded). on a gigabyte KT-400 with a amd 2100+ XP.  I need
> > some suggestions please?
>
> Also another thought:
>
> Does your /etc/hosts file resolve localhost correctly?
>
> The first line of that file should be:
>
> 127.0.0.1	localhost	localhost

Along those same lines... you might want to check your /etc/hosts.conf
and /etc/nsswitch.conf to verify the order in which your machine is
trying to resolve names/addresses.

If it wants to use DNS before looking in the local hosts file then
I'd imagine you seeing terribly degraded performance if there really
is no network configured.

Tim.

                                                      Timothy E. Peoples
                                                   Have Camel, Will Code