Re: newbie's UI problems

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 09:24 -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > > 4. Is there a way to use the "fixed" font in gnome-terminal? The font
> > > dialog doesn't show it, as it's not a TrueType font, but I got used to
> > > Eterm's -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-2
> > > very much...
> >
> > You can only use fonts that are managed by fontconfig. The old X bitmap
> > fonts cannot be used any longer. So, unfortunately, you will need to
> > find a TrueType-like font that meets your requirements.
>
> Hmm.  I thought fontconfig could handle *any* font, so long as it was
> installed and registered properly?  Could be wrong, tho.  ;-)

It can indeed handle the fixed fonts. You need to add the path to them
to /etc/fonts/local.conf, and run fc-cache as root. You can check
fontconfig picked them by looking at the output of fc-list|grep Fixed.

Note that it used to be the case that for fontconfig to pick the fixed
fonts you had to uncompress them, but that been fixed since.

You should really try Vera Sans Mono on your terminals, though ;)

HTH,

-- m

--
Mariano Suárez-Alvarez <msuarezalvarez arnet com ar>