desktop icons etc...

Hi,
I have just upgraded from Gnome 1.4 (Debian woody default) to Gnome 2.2
(backport).  A couple of easy questions...

1.  The desktop doesn't allow me to create icons on it either by a
right-click or by dragging from the file manager, whereas 1.4 did.  How
do I do this or why doesn't it work?

2.  I like Nautilus, but it always displays html as text!  How do I fix
this?

3.  Is it possible to move the application panel from the top to the
bottom of the desktop?  Other panels drag around, but the special
"application" panel doesn't want to move.

Thanks,

Ian.