Remove clock from Gnome top panel...

Anyone know how to remove the clock from the right hand side of the
top panel, or at least configure it so that it won't respond to mouse
clicks?  It's right where the close box is for browser windows so when
I overshoot I end up pulling up the calendar which itself has no close
box so I struggle with making it go away and it's really annoying...

I'm assuming that Gnome is what's determining this, as when I right-click
on the top panel it says "About GNOME" which led me to believe the
top panel is a Gnome thing and not something independent.  Excuse me if
this is not the right forum for such questions...

Thanks,

--

Keith Doyle
keith syncopator com