Desktop lost icons and font size

If I'm in the wrong place, please let me know.

I installed SUSE 9.1 with a GNOME desktop.  It worked just fine
initially.  Then, I did the on-line updates and patches to bring
everything up to date.

GNOME still works, but the desktop icons are gone (replaced by graphics
that look like sheets of paper) and the fonts are so small in the labels
and in the GNOME menus that I can't read them (I think they are just 1
pixel high lines).

If you know what is where, you can still get things to work.  The icons
and text on the toolbar are unaffected.

Fortunately, I installed several window managers, so I'm still able to
use the machine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

George