Re: What goes wrong with glib?

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 00:24, Bahram Alinezhad wrote:
> "Mike Newman", "Carsten Weinberg", "Kent Eschenberg"
> and "Telsa Gwynne" are participated in this reply (see
> below)...
>
> No, I didn't mean "glibc", I meant "glib" when I said:
> "is required by about 100 other packages".
> Also, I am not installing a beta version of gnome; I
> want to install gnome 2.6.
> Nevertheless, I removed the old glib rpm (with
> --nodeps option), and installed "glib-2.4.2.tar.bz2"
> again, but, still this error appears when trying to
> install "pango-1.4.0.tar.bz2":

Just thought I'd reply.. hope this helps:

Make sure you install glib's .pc file in a location that will be seen by
pkg-config. /usr/lib/pkgconfig is where the .pc files should go by
default.. if you are installing glib in a location other than /lib then
you may need to adjust your PKG_CONFIG_PATH when compiling programs that
are dependent on glib.

eg.. If you use
./configure --prefix=/opt

for glib then when you compile pango you will need to do:

export PGK_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/lib/pkgconfig
./configure --prefix=/opt

Make sure you install all the gnome packages into the same prefix.. Hope
this helps..

Daniel