Re: Suse 9.1 pro, kde 3.2.3-8, gnome 2.6.1.3

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 12:19:12PM -0400 or thereabouts, Nathan wrote:
> Using XFree86 4.3.99.902-43.25 with
> kdebase3  3.2.3-8 and
> gnome 2.6.1.3
>
> KDE is working fine.
>
> But when I logon to  gnome, I get error:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Error activating XKB configuration.
> Probably internal X server problem.

I get errors about XKB configuration on RH Fedora Core 2 which
uses a different X package: xorg-x11. This is a bit more recent
than your X packages, so I am not sure that using a fresher
version of X always helps.

I just close the dialogue box and things seem to work fine.
Can you do that? Or does X just die and refuse to run things?

> What is "complex and simpler xkb config"?

I'm not sure. I had some very old files called .xmodmap-something
in my home directory. I moved them away to get rid of the error
message. But on a fresh install, I don't think you would have
those files.

> Is there any workaround instead of going for fresh
> xfree as I do not want to screw up kde as I am used to
> it and suse9.1 works ok with kde. I am new to  linux.
> Thanks

I would consider rebuilding X a last resort, myself.

Does SuSE have a bug-tracker? If so, I would look there.
Failing that, there are SuSE mailing lists whose archives
you could search.

Or someone on this list may have SuSE 9.1, Gnome, and a
solution to your problem.

I know that a friend told me last night that SuSE 9.1
is mostly fine with Gnome; but that an upgrade from SuSE
9.0 to SuSE 9.1 could cause Gnome troubles. It was
intermittent, happening only on some machines. And it
didn't happen if you had never used Gnome in 9.0. But
if you had used Gnome even once on 9.0 and then upgraded
to 9.1, there was a chance of something odd happening.
In his case, it seemed to be related to GConf errors.

I _presume_ these (yours and his) are two separate issues.
But I don't know.

Telsa