Suse 9.1 pro, kde 3.2.3-8, gnome 2.6.1.3

Using XFree86 4.3.99.902-43.25 with
kdebase3  3.2.3-8 and
gnome 2.6.1.3

KDE is working fine.

But when I logon to  gnome, I get error:

Error activating XKB configuration.
Probably internal X server problem.

X server version data:
The XFree86 Project, Inc
40399902
You are using XFree 4.3.0.
There are known problems with complex XKB
configurations.
Try using simpler configuration or taking more fresh
version of XFree software.
If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R
/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb

What is "complex and simpler xkb config"?
Is there any workaround instead of going for fresh
xfree as I do not want to screw up kde as I am used to
it and suse9.1 works ok with kde. I am new to  linux.
Thanks