GDM startup screen background color

Hi Gnome gurus,

I'm running Gnome 2 on RedHat9.  I've been playing around with various
gdm themes, including customized gnome-splash screens, but I haven't
figured out how to control the solid background color that appears
between the time the gdm-greeter exits and my own background finally
shows up after I've logged in.  I'd like to coordinate the system's
background color with the gnome-splash image -- my custom image is in
shades of brown and gold, which clashes with the dark blue background
color.  Where should I look and what should I tweak.  I vaguely remember
seeing something that set that color, but I can't remember where.

TIA,
--

--Jeff

Jeff Trefftzs <trefftzs tcsn net>