Missing items on the main menu bar

Hello All,

I have been using Redhat9 with all the latest gnome 2.3 components that
I update regularly using apt-get. Yesterday, after updating some of the
components, the items in my main menu have disappeared. I am left with
"Run Application", "Search for files", "Recent files", "Lock screen" and
"Log out". The rest of the items have disappeared (Applications, Sound
and Video, Internet, Graphics etc). The "Recent files" items shows a
missing icon. If I log in as root I the menu seems to be intact with the
exception of a few missing icons. I have tried creating a new user but
get the same missing items in the menu. Some help will be greatly
appreciated!

thanks
Sanjeev