gnome-terminal crashes (redhat 8.0)

Since there seems to be no special gnome-terminal mailing list
I joined this list to report a gnome-terminal problem:

With a redhat 8.0 system I installed and upgraded with redhat up2date
to the latest state and with 2.4.18 kernel , gnome-terminal 2.0.1
I'm observing the strangest things with broken pipes:

man ls

or

man grep

always leads to

gunzip: Broken pipe
and grotty: stdin Broken pipe (or something similar).

Also with every such invocation the memory usage (controlled with top)
climbs up to 52 MB (!).
Or the gnome-terminal just crashes with the first invocation.

The broken pipe error doesn't occur when I start an xterm initially
from the desktop toolbar (e.g. by changing the command name that is invoked
through the icon).

I ran an strace and found that a mmap'ed file is created from which is
being read internally. Resource problem? I had set all csh limits
to unlimited FWIW. Since 'man' is a binary I don't exactly know what
kind of pipe is being built - could UTSL though :-)

Any clues?

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies rwth-aachen de