Re: 2 Problems

Ben FrantzDale wrote:

1) i can't use mouse to paste text. i do select and copy text using mouse. but to paste it have to use `shift-insert' key combination.

That's not right. Is this only within gnome programs, or even for things
like xterm or mozilla?

it's true for xterm and mozilla. Gnome being my graphical desktop environment, I assumed that it is responsible for these issues.

It isn't. That is the job of X11.

By "use [the] mouse to paste text" I assume you mean middle-clicking.

You're right. actually i'm pressing left and right buttons together to emulate a middle button. it is a 2-button MicroSoft IntelliMouse, which is PS/2 compatible (as written on it). well, it also has a wheel button.

If
so, then it sounds like X  doesn't see your middle mouse button. Try
draging things around on the gnome panel with the middle button. If you
can't then the issue is X not seeing the button.

If you have a 2-button mouse, it may not be set to emulate 3 buttons.

how do I set X to emulate 3 buttons?

Regards,
Soubhik.

--