Re: gnome-terminal crashing because of fonts

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 15:50, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> All this stuff works on Red Hat.

I am on Red Hat. Red Hat 7.3+
Made the initial mistake of upgrading from Gnome 1.4. It's been a
travesty since.

> Lots of distributions appear to have
> broken fontconfig/Xft1/Xft2 setups in various ways (such as using the
> headers from one Xft and linking to the other, or fonts.cache bugs, or
> crashers in freetype, or not having the font configuration file right,
> or whatever). I'm not saying anything specific about your distribution
> as I don't know which you run.

I initially tried to build Gnome 2.0 - THAT was even worse. I spent more
time in tracking down dependencies and extra packages that I achieved
very little in a lot of time. It was a waste, and I had to blow out
everything and reload RH 7.3 in order to get SOMETHING of Gnome back to
working again.

> If you build your own GNOME with fontconfig/Xft2 in a separate prefix
> and the distribution has Xft1, you can also get hosed if you aren't
> careful. Probably have to remove the Xft1 headers and .so link.
>
> Havoc

As stated, I've spent more than enough time on something that I
shouldn't be doing at all. There was a time when I touted that Gnome
rocked the desktop - but now that entire desktop is gone - replaced with
something completely different, completely more complex and with less
consistency than I've ever expected.

I've stood on the side of Gnome for quite some time - quite a few years,
but it's digressed beyond hope of the "end user"'s ability to
configured, control, customise - I left the MS world for just that
reason, and now I have to leave the Gnome world for just that reason.
It's really too bad that a project that started out so well had to go
this bad IMHO - but then again, I'm one of the many that are reflecting
the same attitude about the direction of Gnome as of late.

--
Tue,  4 Mar 2003 21:35:01 +1100
  9:35pm  up 1 day, 28 min,  3 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.23, 0.38

Youth of today!  Join me in a mass rally for traditional mental
attitudes!