Re: gnome-terminal crashing because of fonts

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 02:45:04PM +1100, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> I found that after my Gnome 2.2.0 started working AFTER MONTHS, I
> continuously have to delete a file called ~/home/username/.fonts.cache -
> over and over again - THEN my apps work AFTER taking FOREVER to
> load...it's gotten so frustrating in trying to work with Gnome 2.2.0
> that I've literally given up and am sticking with KDE until Gnome gets
> back to where they were with v.1.4+ ; there's way too much incongruity
> to stick with it anymore - and I've got work to do.

All this stuff works on Red Hat. Lots of distributions appear to have
broken fontconfig/Xft1/Xft2 setups in various ways (such as using the
headers from one Xft and linking to the other, or fonts.cache bugs, or
crashers in freetype, or not having the font configuration file right,
or whatever). I'm not saying anything specific about your distribution
as I don't know which you run.

If you build your own GNOME with fontconfig/Xft2 in a separate prefix
and the distribution has Xft1, you can also get hosed if you aren't
careful. Probably have to remove the Xft1 headers and .so link.

Havoc