Re: Desktop Background

Jason A. Pfeil wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 11:47, Jan wrote:
>
> [...snip...]
>
>>A lot of things seem to have gone in Gnome 2 - I hope they still are
>>there, only turned off. Eg. I miss the window position that is normally
>>displayed in the middle of the screen. I also miss the neat feature I
>

> Heh.  I've gone round and round this with Havoc (metacity's maintainer)
> and he doesn't want to do it.  It's not something that he feels regular
> users would want.

IOW I'm not 'regular' because I know a bit about X, like how to tell a
window where to open on the screen. But is it at least something that is
an option somewhere?

Another thing that would be hugely useful is a thing that captures all
these senselessly stupid message boxes. Eg. when our mail server is a
bit flaky (like 8 - 10 days a week ;), Mozilla keeps displaying a
message box in the middle of whatever I'm doing. I suppose I can write a
thing that hooks into somewhere in the system, but I think it ought to
have been an obvious part of a desktop system. I mean, it is not as if
we are all longing to press OK buttons when we are in the middle of
logging in somewhere on the net.

/jan